Name of the Organization
- The name of the organization shall be the TOLSTOI HOLY TRINITY CHURCH HISTORICAL SOCIETY INC.
Objectives of the Organization
- To repair, restore, and preserve the Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church in Tolstoi, Manitoba.
- To educate by collecting and displaying historical artifacts from the Roman Catholic Church, the Polish settlement, and the community of Tolstoi.
- To obtain historical status for the building.
- Membership is open to anyone who supports the aims of the group.
- A person must be at least 18 years of age to be a member.
- There is no cost to membership.
- Any person wishing to become a member should complete a membership form. Members living in the same household may submit a single form.
- A list of members will be kept by the secretary.
- All members have equal rights, including voting rights at meetings of the members. To be eligible to vote, a person must be a member before the start of the meeting.
- Membership terminates upon resignation, death, expulsion, or the end of the corporation. A terminated member has no membership rights.
Board of Directors
- A director must be a member.
- The board shall consist of a minimum of three and a maximum of seven directors. At least three directors must be present at a board meeting.
- Officers include Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer. Officers are decided by the board and, except for the Chair, need not be a director.
- Questions are decided by the majority of directors’ votes, with the Chair only casting a vote in the case of a tie.
- The board may make, amend or repeal any bylaws, effective until the next AGM, when it shall be voted on by the membership.
- Directors shall be elected for a two year term, except for the first AGM where three directors are elected for one year, and the remainder for two years.
- A director may be nominated for election if supported by at least two members.
- Nominations may be made to the Chair before the meeting, or at the meeting.
- The nominated director need not be present at the AGM but must have indicated acceptance of the nomination.
- An annual general meeting will be held within 90 days after fiscal year end.
- Quorum at a general meeting shall be 7 members, and a simple majority of votes is required with the Chair abstaining. If the votes are tied, the Chair may cast a vote.
- Members shall be notified of the time and place of a meeting, 21 to 60 days before the meeting date, by sending information to the address on record by the preferred communication means.
- Other general meetings may be called by the board of directors. A group of at least five members may also petition the board to call a general meeting.
- General meetings are open to anyone, but only persons who are members at the start of the meeting may vote.
- The financial year end shall be March 31.
- The bank to be utilized will be at the discretion of the board of directors.
Note: The bank currently used is the Community Credit Union, Vita Branch.
- Two officers must sign any legal or financial documentation including cheques.
- Annual financial statements will be available on-line and at the Annual General Meeting. Any member can request a copy by contacting the Secretary.
- After approval at the Annual General Meeting, the annual financial statement and supporting documentation shall be reviewed for errors and omissions by an arm’s length individual, as chosen by the Board of Directors.
Changes to the Constitution
- Changes to by-laws or the constitution must be approved by a simple majority at the annual general meeting.
- A special general meeting may be held to vote on dissolution of the corporation. Notification of the meeting will be the same as for any general meeting.
- The church property will be returned to the Diocese.
- All other assets and funds, once outstanding debts have been paid, will be donated to a local charitable organization, as decided upon at the dissolution meeting.
AMENDMENT NO. 1 (June 24, 2018)
Amendment to Section entitled: GENERAL MEETINGS
Original: Quorum at a general meeting shall be 11 members, and a simple majority of votes is required with the Chair abstaining. If the votes are tied, the Chair may cast a vote.
Amendment: Quorum at a general meeting shall be seven members, and a simple majority of votes is required with the Chair abstaining. If the votes are tied, the Chair may cast a vote.
This amendment was approved by a majority vote of the members at the Annual General Meeting held on June 24, 2018 at Tolstoi, Manitoba.
AMENDMENT NO. 2 (June 23, 2019)
Amendment to Section entitled: FINANCES
Addition: After approval at the Annual General Meeting, the annual financial statement and supporting documentation shall be reviewed for errors and omissions by an arm’s length individual, as chosen by the Board of Directors.
This amendment was approved by a majority vote of the members at the Annual General Meeting held on June 23, 2019 at Tolstoi, Manitoba.